Danny Wiser is an independent journalist from the UK, soon to be based in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Due to his passion for researching and expressing his creativity Danny found that his skill-set is well-suited to the various aspects that the journalistic profession entails. When provided with a task he approaches it with a confident and an inquisitive mind-set. Danny has demonstrated this in all newsroom environments that he has worked in, often having to produce work under tight deadlines. Danny's work has appeared in a wind range of publications which include The Guardian and The Telegraph. Having qualified as a Gold Standard NCTJ Journalist in 2015, he has since been motivated to follow a fruitful career as an investigative multimedia journalist across the globe. In 2019 Danny completed his Masters’ degree in International Relations at the University of Nottingham. During his studies he acquired an extensive knowledge of global politics and current affairs, making him well-equipped to report on issues across Latin America.
DANNY'S PRINT MEDIA WORK
Below is a small section of some articles Danny has written and sourced which have featured in a range of publications. Although he wishes to specialise in investigative journalism, these pieces demonstrate Danny's versatility as they cover a variety of topics including celebrity, news, politics, religion and sport.
Exclusive: Missiles and punches thrown at police at 'unofficial memorial' of murdered Southwark teenager (Southwark News - Aug 2018)
Jewish peer who fled Nazis funds operation to rescue Syrian and Iraqi Christians (Catholic Herald - July 2015)
Prince Harry party organiser selling New Year fireworks tickets for 15 times face value (The Daily Telegraph - Dec 2014)
Grieving Elmbridge parents vow to keep son’s memory alive through cancer trust fund (SWLondoner - Dec 2014)
Baywatch David Hasselhoff star swaps LA beaches for leafy Mill Hill (Edgware & Mill Hill Times - Nov 2014)
BBC: Feb 2022 – Present
- Danny works with the 50:50 The Equality Project team, collecting and analysing data ahead of their public report into gender, ethnicity and disability representation across the BBC.
Supeyachts.com Dec 2021 – Feb 2022
- Danny was responsible for creating and managing content for the luxury yachting and lifestyle portal.
The PIE News: Nov 2020 – Feb 2021
- Freelance writer for a website producing news about the international education sector.
Quite Great: Oct 2020 – Jan 2021
- Freelance journalist working alongside PR agency, conducting interviews and selling stories, mostly about artists within the music industry.
200worldalbums.com: Jun 2020 – Present
- Danny co-launched a popular music blog, featuring reviews of albums from every country. In addition to designing the site, Danny writes, as well as edits, reviews and interviews, whilst also operating their social media channels.
Global Cannabis Institute: March 2020 – September 2020
- Danny produced content and write articles for a company that hosts global events for the cannabis industry.
The Guardian: March 2019 – March 2020
- Reported on breaking news on shifts at the news production desk of The Guardian.
The Telegraph: October 2018 – January 2019
- Covered shifts, writing articles for the print edition of The Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph.
Southwark News: August 2018
- Sourced and wrote stories for Southwark News, mostly about crime in the area including an exclusive piece about a memorial of a murdered London teenager which escalated into a rave with violent scenes in which missiles were launched, a machete was seized and a policeman was punched in the head
- Wrote culture pieces for The Weekender magazine.
Catholic Herald: May 2015 – Sept 2015
- Sourced stories for the website of the UK's largest Catholic news sources, using WordPress to write regular news pieces to strict deadlines and wrote articles for the magazine on QuarkXPress.
Three and In: Mar 2015 – May 2015
- As an intern at a football blog featured on NewsNow to an audience of 250,000 unique viewers per month, Danny regularly wrote match reports, gossip pieces and features whilst demonstrating a commercial awareness of the type of articles that would get the most traction online.
Sportsbeat: Oct 2014
- Contributed to this agency’s news service in their central office Newsdesk on a match day; collating, collecting and writing reports from games across the country for two national newspapers.
SWLondoner: Sept 2014 – January 2015
- Wrote a range of self-sourced stories for the features, news and sports sections of their website; this included an interview with David Lammy MP after he announced his London mayoral election bid.
North London Times and Independent Series: Aug 2014 – Nov 2014
- Covered news for an array of Newsquest publications across North London and Hertfordshire.
- Danny received the front-page by-line for a story that he sourced and wrote, about child abduction attempts in the area at the biggest weekly local newspaper on the patch, the Enfield Independent.
Touchline Publishing Ltd: Jun 2012, Aug 2012 & Aug 2014
- Wrote advertorials and features for some niche-audience business, lifestyle and sport publications.
University of Nottingham/Charles University, Prague:
2015 – 2019
International Relations and Global Issues MSci
(Final Grade: Upper Second-Class Honours)
- Studied a range of modules from the Politics and International Relations department in Nottingham before doing the same in the faculty of Social Sciences in Prague in his third year of study.
News Associates, Wimbledon:
Sept 2014 – Jan 2015
NCTJ Diploma in Multimedia Journalism (fast-track)
- Passed all modules which included 100WPM shorthand, court reporting, media law, public affairs, reporting and sports journalism; in turn he became a Gold Standard NCTJ Journalist.
- Danny developed a large and varied portfolio throughout the course for which he received an A grade.
- Won the runner-up award for ‘best scoop’ after sourcing and writing an investigatory piece into an embassy worker, with connections to Prince Harry, who touted tickets for the London New Year’s Eve
"The key to wisdom is this - constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth."